Harvest was conceived as a response to the outdated approach to elder care that has developed in the past half-century. Too often elders are perceived as helpless and dependent, and are sidelined and isolated as they “lose” their independence and autonomy. Harvest pulls from deeper values; it is an extension of an exciting new culture change movement in aging that combines progressive care partnerships with the traditional knowledge that elders are powerful and important social contributors.
We believe that while aging brings its challenges, it also brings its rewards, not just to the elder but to every individual in that elder’s circle of friends and acquaintances. Inspired by some of the best practices and innovations in caregiving nationwide, Harvest is also grown by Missoula natives and reflects the values of our unique Montana community. We solve problems, ask what can be achieved, not what can’t, and harness the same creativity and ingenuity our forebears did to build care and connection to each other despite the challenges of resources and location.
Call us today for a free consultation.
What we need is a radical reinterpretation of longevity that makes elders and their needs central to our collective pursuit of happiness and well-being. – Dr. Bill Thomas, Founder of The Eden Alternative
At Harvest Home Care, we aspire to pioneer a new approach to in-home care. As one of the first home care companies in America to organize as a Benefit Corporation, we are committed to demonstrating a positive impact on our communities through sustainable job creation, community outreach and education. We are committed to adopting the most advanced person-centered practices and principles for home care, such as those developed by The Eden Alternative international non-profit. We collaborate and train with world-renowned experts such Eden Alternative founder Dr. Bill Thomas and dementia care experts and Eden Educators Dr. Al Power and Teepa Snow. From them we’ve learned to always look to the people we partner in care with as the true experts and teachers.
Our central philosophy of care is based on the tenets of personal well-being. Our services are designed to address what the Eden Alternative refers to as seven Domains of Well-Being™, developed by nationally-recognized experts in long term care culture change. Rather than a task-based approach to care, we focus on supporting:
- IDENTITY— Supporting a person’s feeling of being well-known, having personhood, individuality and personal history.
- GROWTH— Supporting development, enrichment, expanding opportunity and evolution.
- AUTONOMY—Providing liberty, self-determination, choice and freedom.
- SECURITY— Providing freedom from doubt, anxiety, or fear, feelings of safety and privacy, dignity and respect.
- CONNECTEDNESS— Supporting a feeling of belonging, engagement, involvement and a connected to time, place, and nature.
- MEANING— Providing a sense of significance, heart, hope, value, purpose and sacredness.
- JOY—Providing opportunity to feel happiness, pleasure, delight, contentment and enjoyment.
Meet our team or call us today for a free consultation. We think you’ll be inspired by what we offer, including our strengths-based approach to aging, our experiential dementia care framework, and our care partners who transcend the assistant label to become companions and friends.